Monasteries and churches >> The “Holy Virgin” monastery of Arbanasi
The “Holy Virgin” monastery of Arbanasi
Information | Map
The “Holy Virgin” monastery of Arbanasi is situated at the beginning of the village of Arbanasi, 5 km from the city of Veliko Tarnovo. It was founded during the Second Bulgarian Kingdom. It was preserved but abandoned after the Ottoman invasion. In 1680 the local people built the new monastery church, which is preserved to date. Now there is a chapel and belfry, too. In 1762 the church and the chapel were additionally decorated with murals. Its relief and silver-plated icon of the Holy Virgin is very interesting. It is considered miraculous by both the monks and the local population.